View Single Post
Old October 12, 2019, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default Thanks Millard. The old ways, the traditional...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
I think this is a winner simply because it covers so many, many fields.

Whatever one chooses to do, ya gotta get the gig, one way or the other. When i wrote "Outrageous Marketing For Magicians', I found many performers needed help just getting the first gig.

The same is true today, but on a much LARGER scale.

As you mentioned, with many folks doing gigs, this workshop can be a real winner!

The old ways of getting gigs (customers) are:

Advertising. May or may not be effective, depending on the media, the ad, the target and the offer. Still a multi-million dollar biz op, all businesses and contractors need customers. Downside is the EXPENSE.

Referrals. A cost effective way to get new customers, via the satisfied ones.

Location. The old, "build it and they will come", better have good foot and vehicle traffic.

Soliciting. Cold calling, phone calls, email. Still works, albeit, annoying to so many.

The consultant (who is at 7 figures a year) reverses the low hanging fruit strategy, calls it "using the drone" to knock the TOP HANGING (more money per gig) fruit from the tree.

While others may be scrambling to pick up the fruit on the ground, often over ripe or rotten, or to pluck from the low hanging branches... too often customers without the dough,

this guy flies his drone, from a safe distance away from the tree, and picks the sun ripened bigger fruit from the tree. Maybe it is positioning, or the whole preeminent idea (Jay Abraham) or an attitude of time...

being as it takes as much time to pick the low hanging fruit as it does to deal with bigger pockets.

I think he is in one of Harvey Brody's UPPER GEARS.

Sticking with the fruit tree analogy.

And since I do go to a local orchard quite a bit (they make ice cream {Country Maid in Richfield http://www.countrymaidicecream.com/ } and buy the fresh picked fruit) ...

I've observed over the years their business. They have this nice orchard, they have the ice cream store in the front, and out back they have a little store which sells all kinds of fruit, jams and jellies.

I am the low hanging fruit for them, an Ice Cream Junkie who likes apples. Easy to get a few bux from me.

I used to go with a friend, who bought baskets of apples, to make her pies.

She belonged to a church, and they would often buy BUSHELS of apples for their events.

But the orchard also has big customers, like Smuckers (I don't know for certain if they actually sell to Smuckers, who have their own orchards too) but they have customers who buy tons of apples, peaches, pears and plums.

Some are small mom and pop jelly and jam makers, others are commercial bakeries, restaurants, etc.

Apologies if it seems I'm beating a dead horse here with the orchard analogy...but, there are companies, like Nabisco, who buys literal tons of figs for their darn tootin good eatin FIG NEWTONS.

So, this consultant, goes upstream. He isn't interested in the guy like me who only buys a small amount, and is occasional, nor the small momma and poppa places, he goes for the PROSPECTS WITH the demand and money to spend.

If we look at him as getting GIGS, his approach is more that of an A list actor who commands millions for a movie gig. As often as not, THEY come to him.

Again, it might be positioning (I don't have his details, yet).

So, how does this work for us small potato guys, as far as getting more gigs, of a higher paying order? Well, part TOLL POSITION, and part BRAND/DIRECT MARKETING.

More to come.

Gordon