View Single Post
Old October 8, 2019, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Default I'm a fan of your testing Glenn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thanks Gordon,

I confess.

I Pre-test and do the S*ales/Marketing FOR Consulting Clients.
(Which is HOW I can Offer them a Moolah Back Guarantee)

And

Newbies too.

So I am Very Interested in Any ways you have found to Help People
Make Extra Cash (And do it themselves) - right there in the Banquet room.

Sounds fantastic.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn. Almost a decade ago I waded through two awkward quicksand pits, both of which I got myself into. One great lesson from Harvey Brody, which I somehow overlooked was, don't put yourself in a position to have the rug pulled out from underneath you. Subsequently I had to float a few trial balloons along with dragging a couple of red herrings across the forum.

As transparent as I was, I learned that wasn't the best way to go. And there are those who want all your chips, ala, Robert Ringer's philosophy.

With burn marks fresh on my butt, I quit detailing my off line activity, never got deep into it, but then it was a "shut the heck up and get back to fly low and collect the dough".

Anyhow, with the "brainery" idea, which came about because my daughter taught class at the Brooklyn Brainery, and she loved the idea and wondered if Northeast Ohio had one, and if so, she might move home for a year to finish her third book, IF, she had a place to teach.

So, I thought. Why not? But, making sure the rug is glued to the floor, getting all the ducks in a row, measuring thrice before I cut...any and all cliches one can think of about not just jumping in, albeit, that is often the advice of those who just say DO IT. I have just done it. It didn't work out for me.

And when I see you testing things here and with your followers, I get good ideas, and it is much easier to test and come up with something you know is going to work and payoff, especially if it is a no or low cost test, and avoid the blocks which come up down the road.

We have several new businesses in downtown Cuyahoga Falls, I would bet at least five of them will NOT be around next year at this time. They were built on the wrong assumption; build it and they will come. NO they won't.

Now if I were a working man, I'd offer to help them, but I can't waste time on the foolish folk, who had the money or got it somehow, and

FELL IN LOVE WITH THEIR IDEA, maybe even going into debt for it...

Only to find the customers. consumers, and clients are not beating a path to their doors. This seems to me to be pandemic in small business start-ups.

I like my idea. Mainly because it isn't my brain child. It has successful models, with the Brooklyn and Rochester Brainery's in operation, sort of picking up the slack of the Learning Annex. And here we have a lot of community classes at our Community Center, although, they are done but the instructor doesn't profit. I believe those same folks will offer more of the same type of classes, if they get paid what they are worth.

But I don't K N O W. Not yet.

Which is why I'm cautiously optimistic and testing at a co-op space, rather than going all in on a location.

I'll share some of what I'm doing, as always, but the aces are being held close to the chest, or as another cliche and as the GREAT WHITE might sing, once bitten twice shy.

The whole idea could be a waste of my time. I don't know.

I could be wrong about people wanting to cash in on the gig economy. I may have misread the landscape. I've been there and done that, I may have to rename this post, the Axiom filled aphorism of Alexander, the count of cliches.

Anyhow, thanks Glenn, the lessons you've shared here over the years here are greatly appreciated, and I've taken away of lot of value, and without a doubt, the idea of

T E S T I N G is at the top of the list. So, I test. And if that works, then I'll test again.

Maybe, I'll find one or two workshops will be all we need, and leave the rest for someone else to pick up the ball and run it over the goal line.

Gordon

PS. My daughter is meeting with her first TV producer, and when the dust clears, if she is offered a good deal, then I (staying on the cliche train) turn on a dime and focus the time on that project, and the brainery gets put on the back burner, same thing if something comes from Hollywood, interest in a script for a feature.

Last edited by GordonJ : October 8, 2019 at 10:48 AM.