Thread: Marketing Gurus
View Single Post
Old November 1, 2001, 02:37 AM
Dien Rice

Default I'm not sure who you mean, but here's a story about Joe Cossman....

> Does anyone know the name of a guy who did
> direct mail marketing, but never copyrighted
> his work? I read somewhere that a lot of
> self proclaimed marketing gurus use this
> guys stuff as their own, but change the
> wording to fit their own style. I'm not sure
> but I think it might be E. Joseph Cossman.
> Thanks for any help.

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure who you're referring to.... Maybe someone else here might know....

However, nowadays your work is automatically copyrighted by law as soon as you write or record it. However, it still could be wise to get some kind of government recognition of your copyright if you think there may be a need to defend your copyright in court....

And E. Joseph Cossman, he's one of my heroes! He's a true genius of finding business opportunities, sometimes by turning products that others have already rejected into big successes!

But he doesn't work with every product.... He tells a story of how once, a guy came into his office carrying a few buckets of some foul-smelling stuff. When the guy told his story, it turned out to be mountain lion manure! He said it was great for farmers, to scare away animals who might feed on their crops.... Spread some around, and the other animals stay away. Apparently, there was plenty of this that could be collected from zoos all over the country. However, Joe Cossman turned this opportunity down.... This opportunity is probably still available today if you'd like to give it a try! ;)

His materials are well worth checking out if you haven't read (or heard) them yet.... :)

- Dien Rice