View Single Post
Old July 18, 2008, 12:28 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Can A Perfectionist Be A Successful Entrepreneur?

For a long time I thought it was difficult for a perfectionist to be a successful entrepreneur... A quick online search will reveal LOTS of articles, warning would-be entrepreneurs against being perfectionists!

Then... I read some of the following...

"And as a relentless perfectionist, [Steve Jobs] came up with creations that actually delivered on their promise -- raising the bar for rivals."

(From Steve Jobs: He Thinks Different.)

Steve Jobs is a very successful entrepreneur in the tech industry, with his companies like Apple and Pixar.

"I'm a maniacal perfectionist. And if I weren't, I wouldn't have this company.... I have proven that being a perfectionist can be profitable and admirable when creating content across the board: in television, books, newspapers, radio, videos." - Martha Stewart.

(From Oprah's Cut with Martha Stewart.)

Martha Stewart has a diverse publishing and broadcasting empire.

A friend said, "He [Wayne Huizenga] was always a perfectionist, whatever he got into he would carry through on it".

(From Wayne Huizenga - Entrepreneur's Hall of Fame.)

Wayne Huizenga is the only person to have founded 3 companies to make the Fortune 500 - Waste Management, Inc., Blockbuster, and AutoNation.

I don't think you have to be a perfectionist to be an entrepreneur - and maybe in many cases it's a liability. Yet, I think these 3 examples show that a person can be an exceptional entrepreneur, and also be a perfectionist. I think in certain cases and industries, it can give an entrepreneur an advantage!

Just some food for thought (for all the perfectionists out there)...

Cheers,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : July 18, 2008 at 12:34 PM.