View Single Post
Old December 20, 2006, 07:18 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Selling Works In The Public Domain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetrevison View Post
Dan you told the greatest secret to selling their is, my friend. Darn it. I wanted to be the only one that uses it.

But I will never tell how to get it copied cheap. That is my secret I may take to the grave. You can sit by a scanner and do but it may take a long time. I out source, for peanuts.
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your post!

One great thing is - you're doing something...

By the way, I bought one of Joe's books ("The First Hundred Million" by E. Haldeman-Julius), and I look forward to reading it...

I believe there are plenty of other "riches" there from old books... And not only in the "money-making" area. Other "old books" can have value too, and could appeal to different markets...

Another idea you could use is to take an old book, and "update" the language. That's what one person (Rebecca Fine) did with the 1910 book, "The Science of Getting Rich" by Wallace D. Wattles. She "updated" the "old-fashioned" language... And when you do that, you can put a new copyright it. (Of course, only do this - rewrite a book and copyright it - with original books which are now in the public domain...)

There are plenty of old and valuable books, where the language is a bit "archaic"... That archaic language is stopping people from reading it! You could apply this idea to some of those old books... (You could even hire someone to update the language for you - just make sure you have an agreement that makes it clear that you own the copyright on the new work...)

Here's a quick guide to tell if a book may still be copyrighted or not in the USA... (The laws can vary from country to country.)

http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/tra...lic_Domain.htm

This general idea can also be extended to old audio recordings and films - though copyright law can be less clear in those cases compared to books... However, I know that many of Bruce Lee's films are no longer copyrighted, and the same goes for many of the early films directed by Roger Corman...

Dien