View Single Post
Old November 16, 2008, 07:52 AM
Steve MacLellan

Wink Re: Do The Rich Owe the Poor?

The rich may pay less tax because of loopholes -- but they still pay tax. I'm not rich but I will pay more tax this year then a single mother I know with two kids, earns at her job. And what do you think she will pay for tax this year? It doesn't matter -- she will get everything she paid back, when she files.

But you make a good point here Pete:

Quote:
The guy makes a good argument for stupid!

The article is nothing more then verbal diahrehia, expounding upon a topic that anyone with better then a grade 8 eduction is aware of.

But as a business owner, I don't have any problem with the woman with two kids driving on better highways, having better medical coverage, improved schools, etc., etc., etc. Sure, I might complain at times how I resent paying so much in taxes, but I'd like to think some of it goes to projects and people that can use it, rather then being wasted on superficial government expenditures. You have to take the good with the bad....

The same tax breaks the wealthy get, will be available to you when you become wealthy. And becoming wealthy is a matter of choice, for some of us. If you become wealthy, you won't complain about these tax breaks because you will be using them to put extra dollars in your pocket too.

But money isn't everything....

A friend of mine; we are the same age -- he's makes twice what I make. In his free time (which he doesn't have compared to the free time I have) he likes to come down to my cottage (on the Bay of Fundy) and he likes to hunt and fish -- like I do.

We had a discussion this Summer about how I could make more money if I wanted to. Sure, he has a little nicer place to live, drives a little nicer car, but when it comes right down to it, both of us like to spend our time fishing and hunting. I told him... I don't want to make any more money. I'm happy where I'm at, and it gives me plenty of free time to enjoy things that I want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
And, I've been able to figure that out all by myself over the past 67-years.

Good! Then we won't have any argument over Andrew Tallman's article. It's a free country and even idiots can get degrees.

Regards,
Steve MacLellan