View Single Post
Old February 24, 2012, 11:24 PM
Bozo

Default Health Regulations

Our local newspaper used to publish the results of the health inspections of the various food service places. If you read those regularly, you'd never go out to eat again.

Anyway, I got curious about the actual rules and looked into them. One section I found defined how to calibrate the thermometers they require to be used in refrigerators, freezers, and hot holding areas.

Part of the test said to put the thermometer into boiling water and note that it read 212 deg F.

My town is at 3,200 ft mean sea level, and the rules were written in a town at approximately 6,000 ft MSL, by people who have never had a single science class...or slept through the whole thing. There is not a single location in my whole state, where water will reach 212 deg unless it's inside a pressure cooker.

That means that there isn't one thermometer in New Mexico that will meet the health regulations.

There is no way to comply with all their crap. They put the rules out there, and selectively enforce whatever suits their fancy. New Mexico is known for government corruption. After every election the new guys investigate the old guys, and the old guys go to jail.