View Single Post
Old February 10, 2002, 08:33 AM
Steve MacLellan

Default Posting your email address is optional

Hi Dien,

If you limit the ability of forum posters to contact others then you are limiting their profit. It is beneficial to anyone looking to network, learn, or make new business associates, that they be able to easily contact individuals who may be in a position to help them.

I'm sure some of you may question that statement. Since I don't know how you may have benefitted let me give you some personal examples of how others (including myself) have benefitted.

Sometimes when I see someone struggling with a web problem, I will email them a solution. Does a personal reply like this belong on a message board? No. But if I wasn't able to email them, you would prevent them from using this message board to find a solution.

Other times I have clicked on email links on message boards and sent some of you CGI scripts, programs, eBooks, Javascripts, PHP scripts, images and private endorsements of programs, places and things that has helped you solve a problem.

Many of you have done the same thing for me. AND....

Sometimes this is the first contact used of potential customers; some of who NEVER post to a message board, but simply lurk.

On most of these WeBBBs boards it is the users choice to leave their email address. For example on my message board is a post from Boyd who chose NOT to leave an email address. It is still a valid post. If you check some of the other postings, you will see an email link with most of them.

So Dien, if you feel some are sensitive about leaving their email addresses on this board, put a message at the top and tell them that this is optional and not required. They can if they want to... but they don't have to. This way you are not limiting your users ability to benefit by networking through this forum.

Best Regards,
Steve MacLellan

homebusiness-websites.com