Old September 16, 2003, 04:50 PM
Rick Smith

Default Re: Neat!

Boyd -

> Rick, thanks for that! The marriage book
> sales letter was excellent and I liked how
> you worded the "choose your price"
> offer.

I'm glad you found it useful. That letter was modeled on the "if/then" format discussed by Scott Haines in his now defunct newsletter. Scott, as you probably know, is no slacker when it comes to copywriting. He writes for Gary Halbert among others. I will be using a similar format in the rewrite. (The reason for the rewrite will become clear in a moment.)

> I wish I was brave enough to ask what
> conversion ratio you were getting with the
> "choose your price" offer .......

I wish I was brave enough to tell you. *g* Just kidding. I'll tell you the ratio - 0%. Now let me explain.

I learned (or maybe relearned) a valuable lesson with this project. John Reese and a lot of people talk about testing everything. So I spent *a lot* of time putting tracking links in for just about everything. (Took *waaaay* too long but that's beside the point.) Well, the day of the "rollout" came. I posted some links to the site at the ends of various postings both on here and on another marketing board. Then I sat back and waited for the traffic, the signups, and the sales. It never happened. In fact, the traffic was *extremely* low. Not the conversions. The traffic. I was amazed. I was hurt. I had *never* rolled out a project and gotten *no* sales and so little traffic. I couldn't figure it out. My wife was discouraged.

Then it dawned on me. You don't go to a marriage site looking for marketing information. And by the same token, you probably don't go to a marketing site looking for marriage information. *That* was why my traffic was so low. I was putting the message in front of the wrong market! (Halbert did a good job of explaining this in one of his recent newsletters.)

So... with that revelation came the revelation that the letter would probably need to be rewritten for the target market.

Well, that's the story. I'll probably post some kind of update (once I have the changes done and have something to report) here so we can all learn from the results.

Rick Smith, "The Net Guerrilla"