View Single Post
Old April 14, 2017, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Default Actually two very good questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
...these posts mean a LOT to me. And coming on Good Friday, there must be a reason!

Thank you GordonJ

I've always guessed Harvey Brody kinda "reverse-engineers" his goals but the few YouTube videos on "reverse-engineering goals" didn't quite get as granular as you just did.

The examples you gave seem to be for projects similar to what you've done in the past, so you already have an idea of the step-by-step processes involved

Question: How about if you're delving into a completely different field, where you'll certainly need to include RESEARCH into your pre-flight checklist?

How do you know when to STOP researching, to get out of the Square of Knowing and into the Square of Doing?

(OK, I guess that's TWO questions...)

Well, if it is of a monetary nature, you begin at the end, the TRANSACTION.

In non money making fields, what it the target result you want? How will you measure that?

One way is to maybe create a "qual" card. I went to submarine school in New London Conn, and after 8 weeks of study, I didn't know anything, except what the "elephant" looked like, and like the blind men who touched the elephant in different places, came away with different perspectives on what it was...their

hands on research, really didn't help them understand what an elephant was.

When I got to Newport News VA, and actually set foot upon the submarine, did I have some idea about it, and I was given a Qualification Card, where I had to have things signed off by qualified sailors once I learned them.

So, if you can, create a Qual Card for yourself. OR a curriculum. Think of your research as a college of understanding, what would be the 101 Class.

On the submarine, it was the topside, the first thing you stepped on once you crossed the gangplank. So it makes sense to start there.

Say you are researching solar energy, you'd have to DEFINE what it is, and for your research sake, how it will be used and applied. Researching new things and ideas have a elementary school way of learning, you have to know your ABC's first before you can read or write.

What is the lingo, the language or your field of study? Who are the experts? What is available, info wise, where do you find it? What will you do with this research? Again, I favor a BACKWARD CHAINING exercise, going from the end result back to the beginning.

As for the end of research and the DO part...it might appear on the timeline when you do this chain of events. OR, in many cases, when a DEADLINE is set.

If you work for someone and they give you 30 days to do something, then you know how much time you have. Where the dogs come in, is when your result depends upon the action of others, and if they are not connected to the project or are outside, it throws you off. Easiest way not to get used again as a copywriter is to miss a deadline on a project going to roll out on a given date. As an example.

So, is there a TIME limit place on your project? When must it get done? Can you identify the potential time delays (other people?)....it is like going to your roof and seeing the shortest route to the park is down Rottweiller infested Elm St. But you want to avoid that confrontation, you take Oak st. instead.

If you offer an example or two, I might be able to give you a more specific example. Fair enough?

Gordon