View Single Post
Old October 13, 2009, 05:48 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Not good to be a Twitter quitter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankesh View Post
Thanks Glenn.

Many people (mistakenly) think that Twitter is where you post updates about "what you are doing."

Its not. Its a place where you post updates about "what you're doing that will help others."

You don't have to update it minute by minute. Just once a day is ok too. And if you have a Miley Cyrus moment - just don't use Twitter for a few days. But why delete the a/c is beyond me. Thats like cutting your celphone service because someone cold called you...

I know people who hate cellphones. I know people who hate facebook. I know people who've never written an offline letter in 10 years.

All of these are communication tools. Twitter is nothing but a communication tool.

But to see the real benefit of using Twitter - you need to follow at least 50-60 people. Not 50-60 celebrities. But friends. Or people you look up to. People whose blogs and articles you like to read.

Because Twitter is only 140 characters, you can follow a lot of people without going crazy with overwhelm. Its the best tool for super fast spreading of messages.

Once you have over 50-60 folks following you back - ask a question when you have a problem. And see how quickly you get a solution back. Twitter is better than forums at problem solving many a times because it is so quick.

Anyways - I can go on and on about Twitter, but you won't see the advantages of it unless you follow at least 50-60 people. And give it a spin.

My Twitter a/c for those who are interested:
http://www.twitter.com/ankeshk
Thanks Ankesh...

What a great explanation of how to make the best use of Twitter! I have to admit, I have also been among the ranks of the "clueless" when it comes to Twittering and Tweeting!

However, from your post now I can see the benefit of it. It sounds like a great tool for socializing, and keeping "up-to-date" even up-to-the-minute where you want to...

I also had my "eyes opened" by the way Karol Gajda is using it... He only updates his blog once a week, but in-between, you can also see his much shorter Twitter updates. A "hybrid" approach like that seems pretty cool too, so people don't have to wait so long for an "update". And the 140-character-limit means Twitter updates simply can't take up too much of your time (which can be a blessing)!

Prior to that, the best I could come up with was using Twitter for trying to post humorous "one-liners"! Of course, the problem with that is - I can't come up with funny one-liners! And while they're easier to come up with, boring one-liners didn't seem as appealing...

I did start an "experimental" Twitter account, though there's not much there... However, now that I understand it better (thanks to your post), I may fit it in to some of my future activities.

Best wishes!

Dien