View Single Post
Old August 9, 2000, 01:47 PM
Steve MacLellan

Default Re: Honest, YOU are allowed to ask these questions on the forum, in fact I'd prefer it...

> So, I give assignments, in other words don't
> tell me what you can do, show me...

That goes with what I always say: "Say what you do; do what you say. Prove it!"

Yesterday I had an interesting email from a developer. I had an ad on the USENET that I was looking for help. This guy writes and says he doesn't have a resume BUT...

The LAST guy that I was going to hire DID have a resume. Man, I gotta' tell you. It was impressive. You would think there wasn't a thing this guy didn't know about computers, servers and the Internet. There were fancy terms and expressions in there, many of which, I didn't even know what they meant. I was kind of thinking to myself, that this university he attended was a lot more "cutting edge" technology than what I was led to believe about it. This guy knew Unix servers "inside-out" and several programming languages including Perl, C++ and Visual Basics, etc...

Although he wasn't asleep when he created his resume, he must have slept through most of his classes. He didn't know how to upload files other than using FrontPage, and had no idea how to install a simple Perl CGI script.

So to the guy yesterday -- I told him I don't care about resumes. Just prove to me you can do it. I will know by the end of today. I gave him a couple of assignments. Here's hoping I get a "state of the art" weenie report.

Best Regards, Steve MacLellan

homebusiness-websites.com