View Single Post
Old October 15, 2008, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Define Poverty...

Thanks Michael.

I agree with you with "you do not help anyone by stealing from productive people and giving it to unproductive people, or people who have shown no ability to handle/manage what they earn, let alone what they are given."

(You could read my views on dealing with poverty on the nontoxin.com blog. You'll like the title at least... it is: "How To Eradicate Poverty (Without Doing Charity)")

Poverty = when people can't afford the basic "survival" amenities of life. Roof over their head. Clean water to drink. Food to eat. Ability to pay their medical bills.

You may say that its not our job to help give these people a roof over their head. And provide them with food or water.

But I think people's standard of living is pretty much like the fax problem. The higher the number of fax machines, the better are things for everyone. Similarly, the higher the number of un-poor people, the better the society is for everyone.

Because richness is not having money. Its circulation of money.

---

This to me is poverty that we should work to eradicate - even if it means being anti-objectivist:
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/...b__430x387.jpg

Last edited by Ankesh : October 15, 2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Added the photo link...