View Single Post
Old January 27, 2019, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default Here is a million dollar idea for you sirius584, although...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius584 View Post
amazing right-up

You might need some help with spelling.

A work that won't see the light of day, but one that has a lot of energy behind it.

I have TWO follow ups to:

THE PROPHET, by Kahlil Gibran.

It is a best seller. A beloved book often used as a gift. And today, it is in the public domain.

Here is a synopsis, courtesy of Wikipedia:

The prophet, Al Mustafa, has lived in the city of Orphalese for 12 years and is about to board a ship which will carry him home. He is stopped by a group of people, with whom he discusses topics such as life and the human condition. The book is divided into chapters dealing with love, marriage, children, giving, eating and drinking, work, joy and sorrow, houses, clothes, buying and selling, crime and punishment, laws, freedom, reason and passion, pain, self-knowledge, teaching, friendship, talking, time, good and evil, prayer, pleasure, beauty, religion, and death.

OK. My two derivative works would be:

ONE. Aboard the ship, a merchant continues the conversation focused around BUYING AND SELLING, and Al Mustafa expands on his talk he gave to the people of Orphalese. It would be business oriented. Targeted toward those who might have liked THE ONE MINUTE MANAGER or the work of Og Mandino.

A lot of Mandino's work is a lot like the format of the PROPHET.

So, I know there is an AUDIENCE, a target market. Using principles that Glenn Osborn has discussed, as he saw them applied to the CHICKEN SOUP franchise, with many collaborators...would be how I might market the book.

TWO. A book with many small blurbs, beneath and added to the original text. This would target a more general SELF HELP or self-improvement market.

What would Al Mustafa say today? If he were parting NYC headed back to his small Mediterranean Island home after 12 years of Big Apple life?

THE PROPHET, just one of dozens of books from 1923 and even before that which could be used as a FRAMEWORK, and one could build a FOUNDATION on it with some FOCUS and intent.

There isn't enough time to get all of our creative babies out of our heads, I think a study of JAMES PATTERSON, and his work with co-authors would have been a good idea for me...

and is still a good idea for some of you. YOU don't need to write it all, or do it all. James Patterson, one of the wealthiest writers ever doesn't, Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hanson don't and you don't have to do it all either.

USE what is available, leverage other people's time, energy and create something useful, and if it has value, the marketplace will reward you for it.

GordonJ