View Single Post
Old September 29, 2000, 07:40 PM
Dien Rice

Default Olympic Handball.... and more coming soon.... :)

Hi Rick!

> Team handball, as I've seen it called
> before, is a very fast game. My Scouts loved
> it when we introduced it to them. Team
> handball is *nothing* like regular handball
> which is played with a small, hard, rubber
> ball and where the players smack the ball
> against the walls. In this form, the players
> use their hands to strike the ball. The
> concept is similar to racketball.

Haha, yes, you and Michael have brought back memories.... I think I used to play the *other* form of handball (smacking a tennis ball against the wall) at school, informally. Though we called it "downball" -- I'm not precisely sure if it's the same game..... I was pretty good in our local group, but there was one other guy who kept beating me....! I guess that maybe I could have gotten the 8th grade silver medal. ;)

But yes, what I saw yesterday was what you call "team handball," and yes, it's a medal sport. I saw two games, France vs. Slovenia and Germany vs. Egypt, but these were playoffs for the 5th-8th positions..... But they were exciting nevertheless! Especially Germany vs. Egypt, because it was very close throughout the whole game and there were a LOT of both German supporters ("Deutscheland! Deutscheland!") and Egypt supporters too ("Egypt! Egypt!").... :)

I have to dash.... I'm seeing one more Olympic event today, then that'll be it for me.... Then I'll write down my current thoughts.... ESPECIALLY about the crowd, for me a lot of the fun when going to these kind of sports is seeing the crowd.... I think I'll also try to squeeze in there some of my impressions when I once went to a soccer match in Brazil.... (Do you like Brazilian drums? Then go to a Brazilian soccer match!)..... :)

Okay, gotta run.... Back soon with some more impressions of the Games.... :)

Cheers,

Dien