View Single Post
Old June 23, 2010, 02:01 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default An "eggcellent" way to beat the competition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Dien,

One more for your collection just in case you might of missed it...

Imagine if you start Applying similar Marketing tactics and Creativity into particular awesome Info product creation too...

Le Whif..
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...gs_rfai=&tbo=1

When it comes to...

Specialty food and Merchandising related ideas...

Remember...

An egg is an egg is an egg, right? Not anymore. Some smart people have figured out how to re-position the white eggs to earn more money.

Once Again...

One of my favorites from Ankesh's Biz Tactics...

Cluck, cluck, my eggs
are expensive than yours!
http://www.biztactics.com/bullet-eggs.php
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your - as usual - thought provoking reply!

Wow - breathable chocolate and coffee! That seems like a crazy idea! But hey - also no calories!

Wouldn't want to get arrested by accident, though... "I promise you, officer, this white powder I'm inhaling is actually white chocolate!"

Thanks also for the link to Ankesh' s blog post, which I agree is great! It also reminds me of something I was reading recently.

I recently bought the book "Hide Your Dagger Behind A Smile" by Kaihan Krippendorff, which I am reading now and which I thoroughly recommend. Anyway, he also writes regularly for Fast Company, and you can find many of his articles on their website.

His book and his articles are based on a collection of ancient Chinese wisdom called the "36 Strategies". These were originally written to apply to war, however, Krippendorff has also shown through modern case studies that they are very applicable to business.

There are often multiple forces at play in business success stories. As Ankesh points out, vegetarian eggs, eggs with omega 3, and generally healthier eggs form a strong USP (unique selling proposition) which distinguish these eggs from ordinary eggs.

Krippendorff wrote an article (written after Ankesh's, by the way) which was a kind of case study of an egg company that grew its profits dramatically while its competitors' profits were shrinking. It did this by doing what Ankesh mentioned - getting into these healthy (and more expensive) types of eggs.

Krippendorff explains it using one of the "36 Strategies," specifically the one which says "Await the exhausted enemy at your ease."

In war, this means that if you know where the next battle will be, you should get there first. That means that by the time your enemy later reaches the battlefield, they will be exhausted from travel, but you and your troops will be well-rested and full of energy and high morale. As a result, you will be more likely to win the battle.

This lesson can apply to business too. In the case of the eggs, Krippendorff's view is that this highly successful egg company saw the trend towards healthier foods, more "natural" foods, and so on. So they realized that this would be the next "battlefield" in their industry. So they "moved" there early, and got a good head start on this growing "healthy" segment of the egg market.

(It's basically the first mover advantage. However, you have to be sure the trends are heading your way - then get there early. There's no point being the first in a place no-one cares about - like the first person to sell a combination flamethrower/fertilizer dispenser, for example... Hey, I wonder if that's patented yet?)

Anyway, I found his point of view interesting. You can read his article here...

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kaih...n/chicken-farm

Thanks again for sharing, Phil - and thanks for sharing Ankesh's insightful article too (and thanks Ankesh for writing it)!

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : June 23, 2010 at 08:15 AM.