View Single Post
Old September 21, 2003, 07:37 AM
Garry Boyd

Default not on the list

But one of my all time favourite gurus is Don Lancaster. If any of you spent your youth sniffing solder and letting the smoke out of IC's, you may know the name. Don was a pioneer hardware hacker and has just published some reminiscences about his early days. You can read it here:
http://www.tinaja.com/glib/waywere.pdf

Its a great read, but heres a bit that really struck a chord with me in terms of leveraging your efforts:

"I continued with my graduate studies at Arizona State University, picking up my MSEE in 1966. I started but never completed a second master’s degree in anthropology.
My E.E. thesis was on the first integrated circuit metal locator. Built by biasing RTL logic gates into their linear amplification region. Thus making great diffamps. Real linear IC’s were yet to show up at reasonable prices. The beast was called the IC-67 and ended up on the January cover of Popular Electronics.
Getting Goodyear to pay ASU to let me write a hobby
construction project was an interesting scam. One from which I developed the concepts of reversing cash flow and letting others pay you for your fun."

The New Zealand Search Engine