View Single Post
Old December 15, 2006, 08:10 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default That's an interesting "outside the box" idea for a hotsheet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Local and Global medias & newspapers are Finally starting to publish Global warming Tips and feature stories. Advertising and specialty product sponsorships are in the works.

A few Quick ideas...

Global warming Education Hotsheets, newsletters, ebooks, tip sheets, T-shirts and many other specialty products with a connection to Advertisers that support a very Serious problem!
Thanks Phil,

That's definitely a "thinking outside the box" - and interesting - idea!

Now, you're always going to have skeptics about various topics, including this one (see Michael's post). However, obviously, the skeptics are not going to be your target market.

I think the key point (from a business perspective) is whether this is a trend or not in society. While I don't have any "hard data", my impression is that awareness and concern about global warming is certainly a trend in society.

This can expand to the general topic of creating a business out of a cause. It certainly can be done (and has been done)! One example are those people who make political bumper stickers, T-shirts, write books, and so on - about various political causes. Another example is where a cause is "grafted on" to another business - "The Body Shop" is what springs to mind as an example of this, which joins some sort of global environmentalism I think with cosmetics and moisturisers, etc. And as far as I know, "The Body Shop" is an immensely successful business.

For the "global warming" skeptics, there are probably ways you can make money from other skeptics too (I'm not sure if a "hotsheet" would do it, but there are other ways, like T-shirts for example, or bumper stickers).

By the way, there seem to be eminent people (or at least well-known people!) on both sides of the debate. On the "global warming is happening" side, a recent prominent dude is Al Gore and his movie (which I've heard about in the news, but haven't seen myself). On the other side is the author and film maker/TV producer Michael Crichton (Jurassic Park, ER, Westworld), who's criticized the concept of global warming through his fiction (the novel "State of Fear", which I haven't read either).

Getting completely off topic, I saw "Westworld" (a great movie made in the 1970s with Yul Brynner) just last weekend... I sometimes get together with some friends at one of our houses and watch old movies. It's still a great movie! (For those who don't know, "Westworld" is about a theme park, where you can live in the Wild West and shoot people - but the "people" you shoot are actually very realistic robots. As you can imagine - since it's a Michael Crichton book and film - everything goes terrifyingly wrong...)

Thanks Phil and everyone for your insights!

- Dien