View Single Post
Old December 16, 2006, 02:52 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Why am *I* the skeptic - as if that's a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
I need to Pull You Up on something and ask a question about it...
Quote:
Now, you're always going to have skeptics about various topics, including this one (see Michael's post).
The above sentence Implies I am a Skeptic - as if being this Skeptic is also a bad thing as the thing I am Skeptical about it actually true. And Lends credence to Any Hair-Brained Anything.
Hi Michael,

I was looking at it from the viewpoint of someone who may want to do this idea. In that case, a "skeptic" is not that person's target market, so they should not be too concerned about what a "skeptic" would have to say about the product - since they're not really aiming to sell to "skeptics" anyway...

The people who would matter - from the business perspective - is the person's target market. And the target market for this idea I presume would be the same people who are fans of Al Gore's new movie, or fans of other environmentalists...

From a "wider" perspective, I don't think it's bad to be a "skeptic" at all. We're all skeptics of something or other. To take an extreme example, remember the "Heaven's Gate" cult of the late 1990s - the ones who thought they were going to be taken up into their space ship, hiding behind the Hale-Bopp comet? (Here's the Wikipedia entry for those who don't remember this.)

Well, I'm a skeptic of their claims! So I don't think being a "skeptic" is necessarily a "bad" thing... And a healthy dose of skepticism is a good thing.

My post was from a "business" perspective... I do believe there is a market for pro-environmental stuff - which means that there could be a viable business in it.

Of course - if you don't believe in it - then you shouldn't do the business, and stick to doing something you agree with....

I hope that clarifies!

As to my personal views, I'm no expert on the issue, and haven't looked into it beyond the standard media reports. If it's true, then I don't think it's a good thing - though I tend to look at it from a "selfish" perspective... I like to scuba dive, and if global warming does happen and kills a lot of the coral, it's not a good thing from the "scuba diving" point of view! But I don't claim any expertise in this topic - as I haven't delved into the topic to any real depth...

- Dien