View Single Post
Old January 11, 2007, 09:02 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Repeat purchase vs. One sale only

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtran2000 View Post
In the USA it seems many buy a new car every 2 or 3 years. With the rebates and low interest loans, new features and models many people trade in car for a new one more than ever it seems.
Hi Mark,

A few people buy new cars all the time. My grandfather was apparently like that. He was a farmer whose farm was near Coldwater, Michigan. Every year or two he'd buy a new car when the money came in from the harvest. (I presume he traded in his old car, or sold it.) But most people don't buy new cars all that often, I think...

Perhaps I should have picked a better example. Washing machines? How often do people buy a new washing machine?

Most products are repeat purchase products. However, there are some products which people don't buy all that often. For practical purposes, these are "once only" sales. But a salesperson can still profit from a "happy sale", especially if he or she encourages referrals from his customers. (This was the secret of Joe Girard's* success - he was a Chevrolet car salesman, called "The World's Greatest Salesman" by the Guiness Book of World Records. He sold 13,001 cars in 15 years. See the book "How To Sell Anything To Anybody" by Joe Girard with Stanley H. Brown, for details on how he did it. It's what I'm reading now...)

- Dien

* Joe Girard on Wikipedia
* Joe Girard's web site