> making cold calls I guess. We're trying to
> tap into nontraditional markets for our
> product so I'm supposed to call on local
> chains to sell. I don't know what to say in
> the opening 30 seconds to grab their
> attention beyond introducing myself, company
> then what? Help.

Hi, Rick,

Don has given you some good advice if you hate cold calling. That way you work by 'invitaion' ad it is friendlier. Incidentally, you should make sure you're speaking to the right person (or his secretary if she can set appointments for him) otherwise you're wasting your time.

If you want to really learn how to cold call, be a pro and do it like they do. You don't go in and give your spiel to the first person who looks at you with curiosity.

You research the company so you have the name of the person you need to talk to. If you don't have a name, phone and ask the receptionist 'who handle vendors'. Get a name then...

When you cold call, you approach the receptionist or secretary, hand her your business card, and announce "Mr so and so to see Mr. so and so." then politely glance around the room to break eye contact. Usually at this point the receptionist will excuse herself and get Mr. so and so. If she asks what it's about, have a prepared, brief, one sentence statement that is ambiguous enough to satisfy her curiosity and not give away the farm.

If she comes back and makes some excuse like he's in a meeting or he can't see anyone now or he's not here, you reply "When would be the best time, (or day depending on what she says) to see him?"
Note the info and thank her kindly for her service. Leave. Contact again when advised or phone for an appointment.

Cold calling is only scarey until you get some practice, and your first sale, behind you then it becomes a pleasure as you learn to respond to different situations. Fear of cold calling is basically a fear of the unknown. The only way to make the unknown, known, is to face it.

Don't practice on your prime accounts. Start smaller and build up your confidence first. Good luck!

Sandi Bowman