Thread: Sales Help
View Single Post
Old May 19, 2003, 08:52 PM
Steve Shulenski

Default Re: KISS Rocks....

Keeping it short and simple is what works best for me.

The more I talk or beat around the bush the worst I do. Telling is selling and I suck at selling but anyone can ask a simple question that always gets a yes or no.

If they say no I simply thank them for being honest and move on. If they say yes it's because they want what I have so from that time on it's simply working out the details for them.

If for example my goal is to get the owner of a pet store to let me set up a photo shoot in the store I simply walk in...locate the owner, walk over and hold up a small portfolio with 4 small portraits in it and say...I'm a Pet Photographer and I was wondering if you would like to offer your customers my service in your store?

If they are at all interested they will ask me for the details. If they say no I say 'Thanks anyway...have a nice day!' Doing anything else is a waste of time.

If my goal is to sell advertising space I find the owner and say...'I have a new idea that can flood your business with new customers. Do you have a quick minuet to take a look at it? If they say no I say too bad because your competitor will use this against you and I leave. If they ask "Is this about advertising?" I say..."It's about a new Idea that can get you more customers. Do you have a minuet to take a look at it?"

Notice I didn't waste time introducing myself or making small talk to try to get them to warm up to me. They don't care who I am and the moment I open my mouth they will make a split second judgement call about me. They will decide 1) This guy is wasting my time trying to sell me something or 2) This guy has a possible solution that may make my life better so I better take a look.

Your potential prospects are real busy running their business and they don't have time for salesmen who want to sell them stuff. Hit them fast...with what you have or can do for them. Spend your time only with people who want what you offer. No one likes a salesman. Everyone loves a problem solver.

$5000 in one weekend photographing pets!