View Single Post
Old October 14, 2022, 08:35 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default How to stimulate your creativity "on demand"...

There's the stereotype of the hapless writer beset with writer's block, staring depressingly at a blank page...

However, that's not the way all writers write...

Ray Bradbury (author of "Fahrenheit 451" and a bunch of other great science fiction novels) had a desk where he kept all kinds of "toys" on it... The toys stimulated his creative imagination...

(Photo: Ray Bradbury at his desk... Click on photo for the article it comes from...)

Denny Hatch, the author and copywriter, keeps an archive of articles he saves... When he wants an idea of something to write about, he rummages through his saved articles...

Many copywriters keep a "swipe file" - a bunch of ads they know have been effective. When it comes to writing an ad, they thumb through their "swipe file" and get stimulated, and get ideas...

And here's an unusual one... I won't mention his name, but I know a professor of mathematics personally. When you enter his office at the university, it's full of all kinds of mathematical toys... From Rubik's cube and all kinds of variations on it, to various logic puzzles... I've never discussed it with him, but I have no doubt that these help to stimulate his mathematical creativity too...

Gordon talks about "stimulus-response" in persuasion...

There is "stimulus-response" in creativity too!

With these methods, it is easier to have "creativity on demand" when you need it!

Best wishes,

Dien