View Single Post
Old September 30, 2003, 04:10 PM
Mel. White

Default More on copyrights and trademarks

The "for dummies" isn't trademarked nor is it copyrighted. You can't copyright a title.

What *IS* trademarked is the "For Dummies" PLUS their little guy logo. I think the company name is "Dummies"... but don't quote me on that.

So if you wanted to do something similar for... uh... "widgets", you would make a company name ("WidgetWorld") and then come up with a logo design and trademark that. You then use "Widgetworld Weedwhackers" and "widgetworld Wibbles" and so forth as book titles or product names or whatever. Trademarks protect your branding efforts.

There are other people named "Hilfinger" and "Tommy" which is why the Hilfinger people couldn't sue for or grab the "tommy.com" name awhile back.

> Thanks for the url, I just love dealing with
> bg bro gov.

What you're dealing with is legislation designed to protect your business and to protect the artisan. Engulf And Devour corporation can't take your product idea and your good name and your efforts building a sale and ride to success on your hard work. You slap them with a trademark violation and throw it into the courts.