View Single Post
Old July 18, 2015, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Two small tremors...a future earthquake?

OK. First, WHO will be impacted?
Say a freshman at Akron, on a baseball scholarship is facing choices. He may have some sort of educational settlement, perhaps another year...but they aren't going to give a free ride, so now, if he stays, he looks at student loans, jobs or gives up baseball and has to examine his life.

What are his options? Can someone help him locate another college team and will he face the same fate on that one?

What if he wasn't there to be a real student, what does he do?

If tuition goes up across the USA, and student loans become harder to get, maybe trade schools, Phoenix, DeVry certifications may be a better choice, for hundreds of thousands.

Read the article and get an insight to their thinking...when he says he wants Akron to become the premiere polytechnic school (it is one already), what he is really saying is this

BIG schools will not just be eliminating athletics, they will be closing colleges within, the fine and performing arts are at the top of the cut list, and soft sciences and maybe even many English classes...focus more on JOBS, so a teachers college could be the downsize to... from a Liberal Arts or other English majors, like Creative Writing.

Universities will be dramatically different from the beasts they are today.

Lots of opportunities along those lines.

High schools have already cut some athletic programs and there is a pay to play, and many are now doing fundraising...not the car wash or knock on doors begging kind, but a fundraising program that supports, say, the HS baseball team.

I know some of these guys, they would love to shut down many of the female sports but they can't because of Title IX, so they have to cut equally. High
Schools don't have big travel expenses colleges have, in fact, travel is one of the key budget items looking to be cut and smaller programs may have to go back to old regional style, where they can ride buses, not planes.

Means a shift in leagues, more regional alignment, colleges shifting to Independence status who can't afford to compete in Big 10, SE, Big 8, etc.

Maybe a downgrade in status from 1 A to IIA (as populations shrink)

TV drives college sports, if you're not in the pot, not many schools can support much outside of football and basketball.

Anyhow, I could be dead wrong.

But check your local programs, both local colleges and HS and stay tuned into the number of programs closing or having to raise their own funds. You'll be amazed.

Hot weather, continued drought will drive up food prices, like never before, Hot summers put a strain on the grid. Most are unprepared. My neighbor had to borrow ice from me today because she knows I keep a lot on hand (I think of it as frozen water...wait? what?!!)

Continued brownouts, regional blackouts in the hot areas for several days will see not only full hospitals but violence in the streets.

Now, none of this may happen, I've been wrong a couple of times.

Watch the sales of generators soar this summer.

First opportunity is for self and community planning.
Then as one stands on the tracks and gets run over by the train of trends, at full speed, no longer a trend but a change of lifestyle...well, I think you can see where to look for some great opportunities.
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeycoachdoug View Post
Gordon- you are always quick to identify problems, then find a way to monetize a solution. I agree there is trouble coming to paradise in this area. Can you elaborate a bit more. I appreciate the way you see things from a rooftop view, and hoped you might share your pre-flight checklist on this opportunity. If it it too soon to share, I understand, but please keep us in the loop.