View Single Post
Old April 14, 2007, 11:48 AM
James Anthony

Default Re: Don Imus and nappy headded hos.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey Jim, I'm just curious about YOUR response and your thoughts about the nation's response to this scenario...

Don Imus is commentating on a basketball game that your mom is playing in as well as your sister, your little daughter, the First Lady, and other highly affluent Caucasian women. And he says, "man, these are some really skanky ho bitches."

I really don't think it would bother me if it was done in the same manner as the "nappy headed hos" comment.

Look at the source - Imus - It's just his style and he was trying to be funny and not offensive.

Maybe I've got thicker skin for that kind of stuff than most people but it really doesn't bother me at all.

Now, if it was done in a different context, that would make all the difference in the world. If it was said in an obvious hateful manner, then I would be very offended.

I've personally worked with a lot of Mexicans over the years and we are always making fun of each other and blowing our cultural differences way out of proportion all in the name of fun.

I'm not even going to post here what I call them or what they call me because someone will likely twist it into something that it's not. Let's just say that in a different context, it would be much more offensive than "nappy headed hos" but we all have fun with it and nobody gets offended.

A few years ago I hired a gay guy to manage one of my shops. We were clearly on extreme different ends of the spectrum but we were able to make fun of each other and say things that would likely be called "hate" comments if they were used outside of our conversations.

I've worked very closely (and still do) with a couple of Mormon kids. Don't even get me started there. Those conversations are always just fun and usually end with one of them laughing and saying "You're going straight to hell"

But here's the thing.....

If arguments ever occur, none of that stuff comes into play. We all know that there's a time and a place for it and when to have fun with it and when it's not appropriate.

Some people are obviously not smart enough to understand the difference. Jackson, Sharpton, and their followers come to mind.

BTW - I'm not trying to defend Don Imus's comments and I would say that it was delivered to the wrong audience. I'm just saying that people have made it into a much bigger issue than it should have been and the punishment in this situation far exceeded the "crime"

Jim

Last edited by James Anthony : April 14, 2007 at 12:19 PM.