View Single Post
Old February 3, 2023, 12:08 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: A strange story...

I just did some research...

It looks like my acquaintance paid around double the market rate when he bought his special-breed sheep... That makes it hard to sell them at a profit...

The plot thickens!

As I've learned many times from Gordon (and from "chatteling"), you often profit when you "buy"... If you buy too high, it means that making a profit is more difficult...

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. This reminds me of a story about my (late) Dad... My Dad grew up on a farm in rural Michigan (just outside of Coldwater, MI). In one of his old college books, I found tucked between the pages, an essay that he wrote in college... He wrote a story about how when he was a kid, he tried breeding rabbits, and sold them at the local fair. Pretty soon he just had too many rabbits... and the family soon started to get sick of eating rabbit for every meal...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
A few years ago, back in 2019, I helped an acquaintance out of a jam... I've written about it here before...

This guy had a car accident which wasn't his fault. He was the passenger in a taxi, and was injured. As a result of the consequences of the accident, he ended up effectively homeless (he had to live in his car)...

I helped him out, with another entrepreneurial friend of mine we got him into some accommodation, and helped him to start getting back on his feet.

A couple of years ago, in 2021, he won a court case against the insurance company which insured the driver at fault, and got a big payout (many hundreds of thousands of dollars)... Then he "disappeared" and I didn't hear from him for a couple of years.

He got back in touch a week or so ago...

It turns out, with the money, he got a long term lease on some land in the countryside. He bought himself around 38 high-end sheep (he told me the specific breed, but I'm not a sheep expert!), as well as 10 alpacas, and has decided to breed them! He also just bought one cow in the past week or so...

...and he'd like some help with the marketing of his livestock!

So... sometimes weird opportunities like this fall into your lap. I'm not sure what I'm going to do (if anything), as I have plenty of "good stuff" on my plate, and it's important not to "overwhelm" yourself and get bogged down!

I just wanted to share the (strange) story...

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : February 3, 2023 at 12:20 PM.