View Single Post
Old November 22, 2011, 05:32 AM
-TW

Default Re: Need some INFO (not legal advice) on this interesting question...

Person A conveys message to Person B.

Where I come from, it is at least as important for Person A to use language that Person B will understand, as it is for Person B to have a wide enough range of languages he/she understands.

If the sendER wants to communicate effectively he/she must take on the responsibility (as communicatOR), of doing all that is necessary to make sure the desired message is delivered PROPERLY, in a way that the sendEE will understand.

By definition, the sendEE is standing in his/her own "country." The sendER is the "foreigner," who must be sure to learn the language the sendEE speaks + understands. That's how I look at it any way.

If you send a letter, it is the responsibility of the sendER to put the right postage on the envelope, so it reaches the addressEE. It is NOT the responsibility of the addressEE to put the postage on the envelope after it is received.

Cheers. (or should I say, "cHeErzz!")

-- TW

PS: Remember, on Steve Martin's classic "Let's Get Small" album about the "Plumber's Convention" joke. Has to do with this conversation, in a way!

UPDATE: Glenn -- I found this transcript, just in case you don't know the joke I'm talking about...

“Ok, I don’t like to gear my material to the audience but I’d like to make an exception because I was told that there is a convention of plumbers in San Francisco this week – I understand about 30 of them came down to the show tonight – so before I came out I worked-up a joke especially for the plumbers. Those of you who aren’t plumbers probably won’t get this and won’t think it’s funny, but I think those of you who are plumbers will really enjoy this…

This lawn supervisor was out on a sprinkler maintenance job, and he started working on a Finley sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7-inch gangley wrench. His apprentice laughed and said, “You can’t work on a Finley socket with a Langstrom 7-inch wrench!” Well, this infuriated the supervisor, so he went and got Volume 14 of the Kinsley Manual. He opened it to page 214 and read, “A 7-inch Langstrom wrench is compatible with a Finley sprocket”. Just then the little apprentice leaned over and said, “It says sprocket, not socket!”

*SILENCE*

Were those plumbers supposed to be here this evening?

Last edited by -TW : November 22, 2011 at 05:43 AM.