View Single Post
Old October 31, 2000, 11:49 PM
Michael Ross

Default Contact.... vrROOOOOMMMM.

If anyone knows how to have a business, successful or otherwise, whilst operating in a vucuum, I'd like to hear that story. And a "story" is all it would be.

Everything starts with a sale?

Sure. BUT, every sale starts with a

drum roll please....

CONTACT.

HAHAHA... I'm just imagining a salesman trying to sell stuff without contacting anyone. In my mind I see him sitting in his office, or standing in an open room, trying to sell the furniture on why it should buy his wares. :o)

People walk by and look in on him and think, "Sheesh, he's gone nuts. He's talking to the furniture."

I'd say there are degree's of contacts.

Obviously you have to make contact with those you buy supplies from, even if it's the guy down at the office supply store.

But the office supply store is more your everyday contact.

Then there are your "special" contacts. Those who have wisdom to share, opportunities to let you in on, etc.

Onassis, I believe, was for these "special" contacts.

Maybe they have nothing to share with you. Maybe they have no opportunities to let you in on. Maybe all they have is a problem which you just happen to be able to solve.

Whether it's an everyday contact or a special contact, they're ALL important. For you never know where an idea or concept may spring from.

A business opportunity from the fish and fries shop?

Yes. Why not.

So there I am, waiting for my chips to cook (a chip is like twice as thick as a fry and is still made of sliced spuds). And having a chat with the shop owner has he hovered over the hot oil.

He told me he wasn't happy with the oil he cooked in. It got dirty too quick and he had to filter it too often. And that meant manually straining it through filters and into buckets - like how filtered coffee is made.

Why don't you buy a filter machine, I ask.

They're way to pricey for the amount of filtering I do. (vital info bite stored away for later)

What I really need is the good oil, he says.

So why don't you buy it, I ask.

Because there are no reps for it around here, he replies. (vital info bite stored for later)

In less than five minutes this guy told me about two problems his business had - oil filtering machines are too pricey for one shop so he is forced to filter his oil by hand, and there are no reps for the good oil in the area.

Light bulb appears above head....

Why not buy a oil filtering machine and offer your services to him, and the others just like him - business opportunity one.

Or...

Why not become the independent rep for the good oil in this area - business opportunity two.

Look ma... I went to the shop to buy some chips and discovered two business opportunities. Who says opportunities are hard to come by?

Downsides...

Oil filtering machine costs a real lot of money. Is THAT opportunity worth the risk?

Do a survey to find out. If all the shop owners tell you they will use your service, buy the machine, otherwise, don't.

Being a rep means calling on people and taking their orders. Ah... but what if, you let it be known you were the rep for the good oil, and whenever they wanted it they called you and ordered? And all you do is call around until you find the manufacturer of the good oil (make contact) and get a price.

So then the locals call you to order and you place an order with the supplier (your contact).

I like the sound of this much better. I don't have to lug around a heavy machine and filter hot oil (it has to be hot otherwise it solidifies).

Instead, all I have is a CONTACT somewhere. My ace in the whole (up my sleeve, whatever the term is).

Cost to begin? A few phone calls to locate the supplier. And even that could be exchanged for a few phone calls to those who'd most likely buy the oil you brought into the area - could also be done with a survey.

I love the concept of option two... it's the same as the Cossman story... making money by positioning yourself in the middle.

And getting into the middle is done by making a few strategic contacts (finding suppliers - in which case you then find retailers - or finding retailers who need something - in which case you locate the supplier).

Yep, when Aristotle Onassis speaks, I listen.

Michael Ross

Learn to profit from being in the middle