View Single Post
Old September 29, 2021, 09:55 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I would say all of them have a very modest income with a high amount of time spent working.

I wouldn't touch this idea with a long pole.

The problem they have, like all businesses, is a steady stream of customers.

Now, I did make a thousand bux in a day at a local flea market selling giant chocolate chip cookies, which were made the night before in a local pizza shop and warmed on site by the sun. But that was a long time ago, I would not attempt that today without some insurance.
Hi Gordon,

My experience, in talking with a couple former restaurant owners I know, is that they didn't make much money, but...

A lot of people still "dream" about owning a restaurant- or cafe-type of business...

I think the "delivery-only" restaurant does change the game a bit...

For some people, it's also about introducing a new type of food or cuisine... and spreading a new kind of culture...

Me personally, I would hesitate at running a restaurant... Because I've seen "behind the scenes" what it entails! (That's because I once helped one restaurant owner extensively with his marketing...)

With a "normal" restaurant, one thing many inexperienced people who start one don't realize is... you can't cook the same way you do in your kitchen at home...

People sitting down at a restaurant expect to be served within 15 to 20 minutes...

At home in your kitchen, you often take more than 20 minutes to cook a full meal - let alone several meals!

So one of the "tricks of the trade" is to have some dishes partially cooked already. That way, if they're ordered, the chef just has to finish off cooking the dish (and it's done much faster, than if it was cooked from scratch)...

(For safety reasons, it has to be well heated again when the dish is finished off... I don't know all the details... But food safety is extremely important...)

A friend of mine who started a restaurant had great food - but he didn't use this method... He cooked the exact same way he would cook at home...

At it's "low point" - I think one group of guests waited about 2 hours for their meal... And eventually they left (quite unhappily) without eating a single bite...

Best wishes,

Dien