View Single Post
Old August 13, 2017, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Default Toll Positions on products vs. IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

Very interesting post!

Regarding info-products vs. manufactured products...

Your expenditure is so much more with manufactured products, which means higher risk. If you fail, you'll fail big and lose a lot of money.

However, if you write a newsletter and nobody subscribes... Well, you've lot some time, but not much money. You can live to "fight" another day, and do it again!

How about "toll positions?"

With a manufactured product, I think there is more scope for toll positions... The potential to patent it (though that's not cheap), as well as toll positions relating to distribution, and so on.

An info-product is generally automatically copyrighted... But... You can't copyright an idea. So anyone can write about the same topic, as long as they use different words...

Check out my upcoming book, "The 3-Hour Work Month!"

(Just kidding!)

I've always loved words, so it's a "no-brainer"... Though as you know, I've gotten my hands into other things too (you win some, you lose some)...!

Thanks Gordon,

Dien

Well. Lots of people getting rich with rights (toll positions) to songs and music, trademarks, even books, and residual TV rights, look no further than Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David.

They manufactured IDEAS. And protected them, built a wall of defense (ala Harvey Brody) around them and never touched a real product.

When you put J.K. Rowling, Stephen King, Disney, Puff Daddy, or even Simon Cowell up against Ben Suarez, and other product handlers/sellers/marketers, I'm going with IDEAS.

BUT, whatever suits one is the best thing to do.

GordonJ