View Single Post
Old January 6, 2008, 04:07 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: The RECESSION of 08, 09, 2010, '11...not much of a limb, but I'll go out on it...

Baloney, GJA. When I stated the lawmakers...that's who the 'they' are in that paragraph+. When I say 'the people' that's who the 'they' are in that frame of reference. Just read what I actually wrote. Stop being so literal and try to follow the other person's train of thought. That's what Michael did. Try it.

No dream of people changing because I want them to...any more than smokers quit smoking or people stop eating the 'wrong' foods. Even you will surely admit that education does help people to make more informed decisions. Instead of measuring the off-gassing of cows, how about we produce some informative yet captivating videos about the realities of cause and effect and simple economic survival tactics? Most folks are interested in survival and self-preservation so why not capitalize on that?

I'll tell you why no one takes on this challenge: money is the bottom line. The name of the games big brother and others play is profits...and the consequences to others be damned. I, personally, think that's irresponsible when carried to the extremes we are seeing these days. This is where history would be valuable...to prove/show the same attitudes and actions precipitated other recessions etc to those who choose not to believe or see.

I see, I know, I am preparing for any eventuality as much as I can. I would hope that things would turn around in time but it doesn't look promising this time around. That does not mean that we should just sit back and say 'oh, well, they (people) will never learn'. That's foolish thinking. People can, and do, change their minds, do follow through appropriately when it's to their benefit to do so, and effect many other changes...but first, they need to be educated and informed.

GJA, I'm sure you know who puts the laws on the books so let's not go there. If lawmakers can only justify their exhorbitant incomes and dream-scene perks by passing unneeded laws without doing anything to correct prior poorly written or totally laughable laws, then they are to be pitied...and put out of their misery by removing them from office.

As for who is subject to 19th century thinking: the majority of the people on this earth, frankly. Not a one of us does not hold some belief that stems from earlier times. Even the belief in recessions and depressions originates in history, and currently, directly relates particularly to events in the 19th century.

As for the scaremongering and fallout. It is one thing to tell people what you think, believe, see, etc...it is quite another to run around like Chicken Little saying 'the sky is falling! the sky is falling!'. You don't yell fire in a crowded theater but it's okay to ask people to exit through this or that door in an orderly fashion without panicking everyone. See my point? Use discretion when delivering potentially (note that word) upsetting information.

As for the simple minded panic, see the paragraph above about education and people changing their minds/actions.

There's nothing wishful thinking about what I propose...not a bit of it. You see, I'm not quite as pessimistic as some folks. I say, give folks a chance to do what's in their own best interests...once they know what that is.

Sandi Bowman