View Single Post
Old March 14, 2008, 02:18 PM
hartrealm

Default Ideas for putting together a local investor meeting?

Searching For Ideas On Investor Meeting

In a quick conversation with a couple other local real estate investors, one mentioned that it would be nice if a few of us (landlords/investors) could get together for a meeting once in a while to trade ideas and maybe learn a thing or two from one another.

Based on that conversation, I decided it might be a good idea to just go ahead and arrange a time and place to have such a meeting, so I did. (A local buffet style restaurant, smallest private room fits 35 people, only $25 to reserve … Buffet Breakfast is $8.30 per person … all reasonable).

Come to find out, this meeting is something that a lot of people in the area are interested in. Within a week or so, a friend and I have already spoken to about 20 people who say they would like to attend.

I’m guessing this number will probably double by “meeting time” (3 weeks from now).

We talk, we eat, we network.

With as many people as we’re now expecting, there will have to be some kind of “organization” to this meeting rather than just having a “helter skelter” type of get together. So here I am wondering?

1. What exactly should my “agenda” consist of? Deals people want, deals people have, common problems we all have, solutions to common problems, experiences with local contractors, etc.
2. How do I keep it “informal” and yet at the same time maintain a sense of order? (I am NOT a speaker by any means … I’m actually uncomfortable with the whole idea of getting up in front of a crowd of 3 or 4 … 30-50 might just give me a heart attack! Whoa is me … but the potential for “good things to come of this” seems endless)
3. In the future, how do you bring in the occasional “expert” speaker without turning the meeting into a “pitchfest”?

I plan on having a simple “member form” to get information as to who is attending exactly and what their preferences are in terms of properties / specialties, etc. (wholesalers, contractors, long term buyers, rehabbers, etc.)

In terms of advertising the meeting(s), I’m considering sending out a press release to the local papers about the meeting. Also looking at the possibility of calling all the “rental” ads in the local paper to invite them to the meeting as well.

The more I think about it, the more I realize this could be advantageous in a number of ways. Possibly start something here and then as it progresses and grows … use the “cookie cutter” approach to do this in other small cities around the country to increase our “buying power” and avail ourselves to discounts we otherwise would not have as a “one man” operation (as most of us are).

I know there are other investor groups out there, but most seem to be in the larger metropolitan areas. I’m guessing there’s a lot of opportunity for the smaller community groups like the one I’m looking to put together here. I'm excited about the potential!