View Single Post
Old August 23, 2008, 05:44 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Irish in Oz, to be sure...

Garrett,

Thanks for asking about Irish Folk.

Kenny Constructions in Brisbane, seems to hire Only Irish blokes. So visit a site where they are doing the formwork and, yes, they seem to be everywhere.

There have been a few turn up in the crane business. But, for the banksmen and crane ops to get licensed in Oz - to have their Irish tickets recognized - they do need to be re-assessed. So they both need to learn to control a crane with Whistle signals (something not done in Ireland) and hand signals and via radio - using words used in Oz and not "head up/down" or "chains up/down" as used in Ireland.

I've seen Irish in Demolition. Plumbing & Roofing. Electricians. Formwork - chippies and labour. And as Foremen on sites. And don't mind working with them as they are unpretentious.

As for being enough work. I cannot say about other states, just what I know around my neck of the woods. And in that case... people are coming in from two states away (1,800 km, 1,100 ml) and even further (like the other side of the country)! I see tilers from Korea, Wall Setters from China (can't hardly speak three words of English - which is dangerous in construction. And was proved as so very recently when some Asian tilers took counterweights off a swinging stage's counter-balance to put on tiles - while the stage was over the edge of the building. Causing the stage to plummet 20 floors to the ground killing the two guys in the stage).

As for being enough work for them All. I cannot say. I don't know how many are coming. But I do know, locally, what with the two tunnel projects, major bridge project, roadworks, dams, dam upgrades, power stations and so on, just in my state, Queensland, alone, there is Plenty of construction work for at least a decade, even two decades. A lot of work has even been held back because there's not enough guys available to do it all.

Factor in the work throughout Western Australia, the 1,200 man camp in just one project in South Australia, and others too numerous to mention, and things aren't slowing down here any time soon. And doesn't include the normal building game - building buildings, like residential and residential and commercial highrise.

Now about Moving here - for good or other. I don't know because I haven't checked with the rules of the system before writing this - But - if you apply to Migrate, I can understand a long waiting time for a Visa. However, I don't think there would be such a long wait time for a Backpacker's type deal, with a general 12 month Holiday Visa + Work Permit (as a labourer so no need to double check Tickets). A a basic 90 day or 30 day Holiday Visa in which time you Look for work - line work up while over here - and then, while here, apply to Upgrade the Visa due to having found work (don't actually Do work on the Holiday Visa unless you also have a Work Permit, otherwise you could be banned from entering the country for three years).

Sure, coming here on a short trip to line something up could mean two trips. Or a basic work permit might mean you cannot do your trade Until your tickets are cleared and could still mean a trip back to Ireland and then re-entry into Australia - because of silly Rules. But it could speed up the time it takes to get over here. Because it'd have to be quicker to find something while here, then to try to find it from abroad without local knowledge or contacts, on the Promise to the Migration Authorities that you'll find something.

Meaning, *I* think it's easier and faster to get here under Any Visa - then - line something up while you are here, than to try to do everything from afar. Of course, the same would apply to any country you might want to move to - go there on a holiday visa and do your lining up while on the Holiday Visa. And would also apply to finding work in another state - go there on holiday and find work while on holiday.

Oh, with work permits and holiday visas from abroad... last time I looked they were granted if you were under 30 years of age. Over 30 and they were more stringent because they believe... a person under 30 is on vacation while a person over 30 would most likely be looking to settle. Another reason while a holiday to line something up can help speed the process - as well as get you a feel for the area before making a larger commitment.

Michael Ross