View Single Post
Old December 30, 2007, 03:57 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: How To Make Your Own Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSki View Post
Hi Dien,

Increasing your “Luck Factor” is what proponents of “the Secret” advise in that they also suggest one to keep a luck or gratitude journal because what one focuses on and looks for is attracted to them.

At: http://www.richardwiseman.com/books/luckfactor.html it reads...

“Prof Richard Wiseman decided to search for the elusive luck factor by investigating the actual beliefs and experiences of lucky and unlucky people. From the results, Prof Wiseman was able to identify four main factors which explained living a lucky and unlucky life. He was then able to show a group of people that considered themselves unlucky, how to think and behave like lucky people. The results were astounding with almost all participants reporting significant life changes: including increased levels of luck, self-esteem, physical well-being, confidence, and success.”

Isn’t this putting the secret or the law of attraction to work? You tend to attract what you focus on and act on. Most everyone would agree if you called it the luck factor but it’s a different story when marketed as a secret or the law of attraction.
Thanks Steve! That's a fascinating connection...

I think the reason why it works is completely due to "psychological" reasons... I think that's why Richard Wiseman distinguishes between what he calls "luck" and "chance"... For him, "chance" are "pure chance" things, like winning the lottery, while "luck" are other "opportunities" that come your way... Where you CAN "make your own luck"...

One example I can remember from his book "The Luck Factor" (which I've also read), was he set up an experiment. I'm writing from memory, so I might get a few details wrong, but the gist should be right!

Anyway, first he selected people who were "extremely lucky" or "extremely unlucky" (based on questionnaires they had completed)...

Then, he set up a store. He told each of these people (at separate times) to go to this store, and spend 15 minutes or so there. Then, they were to come out, and he'd ask them what happened.

The "unlucky" people shuffled in. There were other people in the store, they hung around, and talked to nobody. Then, they came out. Nothing happened to them.

The "lucky" people had a different story. First, Prof. Wiseman had stuck some money to the ground outside the door of the store. The "unlucky" people completely missed it, while the "lucky" people spotted it, and picked it up, and thought - "Wow! Free money! This is great!"

Inside, the "lucky" people found that they could chat with a highly successful businessman (or other highly successful people, who, you never know, could help you with your career/business/etc.). The "unlucky" people went in, and didn't talk to anybody - so they had no experiences. While the "lucky" people had great experiences - because they opened up and talked to people! And they made some "lucky" social connections...

The important thing was that both the lucky and unlucky people had the exact same conditions and opportunities. Yet, their experiences (and what they got out of the situation) were so different!

How does the "luck diary" fit into this? Well, if you think you're going to "fail" anyway, then you won't do things - so why bother? But if you think you're predisposed to "success" already, you're usually willing to take a few more risks. Doing the "luck diary" - after a few days, and even more after a few weeks - starts to change your usual "mindset". In my opinion, that's how it works. Your behavior will then "naturally" change to doing things that will increase your "luck" (i.e. you'll behave in a way where you're more likely to find and take advantage of opportunities)...

By the way, here are a couple earlier posts (from last year) that I wrote about "The Luck Factor"...

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=68#post68

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=83#post83

Thanks Steve!

Cheers,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : December 30, 2007 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Additional info