View Single Post
Old December 22, 2011, 06:53 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: How To Make Your Own Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Dennis View Post
Robert,

Funny - Lucky? - Who knows?

I was just mentioning Carr's book to a friend recently. I read it about 30 years ago, and it was certainly one of the most memorable books I've ever read.

As I recall ... I'm 30 years older, remember? ... Carr talked about the magical spiderweb you create when you systematically reach out to others over a period of time, and how THAT is responsible for luck. In his studies, those who experienced luck almost always had a bigger spiderweb than those who experienced "unluck."

The more people you know and connect with in a supportive manner - like in SOWPUB - the better the chance you'll find out about good stuff that others who don't build that spiderweb will never be privy to. Carr said that luck is purely a result of benefitting from the news, opportunities, etc., carried by that bigger network which you created.

Anyway, once I read Carr's book, the mystery of luck was gone for me. Simple explanation, and anyone can actually set out to create a lifetime of good luck.
Thanks Robert and Richard,

That's a great point! (And it's quite different from what Richard Wiseman says, so it adds to it a lot...)

Definitely, the bigger your circle of friends and acquaintances, the more "lucky" you'll get.

Why? Through those people, will come many opportunities... Whether they are job opportunities, business opportunities, opportunities to get "good deals" on stuff... and so on!

One book I've read which really hits the point home is "Never Eat Alone" by Keith Ferrazzi. He effectively built his whole career on his wide network of friends and acquaintances...

He means the title of the book literally. Whenever he eats a meal, he tries to organize eating with someone he hasn't seen for a while, to keep up his contacts and acquaintances.

Also, he likes to hold big parties - as it's a good way to "keep in touch" with a lot of people, all in the space of a few short hours...

Of course, Christmas cards and birthday cards are also a fantastic way to keep in touch, too.

Best wishes,

Dien