View Single Post
Old January 28, 2012, 09:31 AM
Eternal Optimist

Default Re: Here's another real-world example of "logic" actually GUMMING UP the works!

Many of you know that my hubby and I have a shop; we make buying decisions of one kind or another all the time. We are prepared to lift the phone and call someone, especially if we know we have a sale which depends on getting the new stock.

However, we also love to get the service from our suppliers. We quite often buy from the people who are prepared to take the time and call in to see us and show us their wares. There are times and people who get a "No thanks!" Many times, even a regular supplier will only get an order if they call in because we can easily fill the space up with products from someone else who has made the effort to come and see us.

If you are selling a service, it follows logically that you have to provide the service.

Margaret

ps

TW - there is just too much competition in the world for you to wait for the orders to come to you; you have to put yourself in front of customers, new and old, before the competition beats you to it.

A long time ago, I worked for an employment agency in Glasgow. Each month, without fail, we would cold call existing and potential clients to see if they had permanent or temporary vacancies. I am sure there were many times that the personnel officer could have screamed when we phoned. However, the logic for making the calls was that it kept our service in front of potential clients; we quite often phoned when there was a temporary vacancy which had just been notified to the personnel office and we had the opportunity of putting candidates forward for it. There were other times when there was a lucrative permanent vacancy and we again got the chance to list it before our rivals. We hated making the phone calls - and the boss was worse than us at following the script and dealing with objections. The business was successful, though, because we made the effort.

Last edited by MMacGillivray : January 28, 2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Afterthought