View Single Post
Old May 9, 2016, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default Yahoo as a "distressed" business, much like AOL was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Thanks AscendedMind for the link to the Joe Cossman video.

Also, thanks Gordon for the Sherman Hunter link, I just signed up!

There are answers to these questions, but the principles are actually the same, whether it's applied to injection molds, copyrighted books, patented products, exclusive distribution contracts, or whatever toll position you choose...

Once you understand the principles, you can apply it to all these things...

Best wishes,

Dien

Sherman Hunter specializes in "distressed businesses", which are in great abundance. I think of them as another form of "stored value".

Be it a behemoth like AOL or YAHOO, or a momma and poppa beer joint down the block...

there are many reasons for the distress...many times aging has to do with it, growth to a leveling off, retirement or death of founders...

lots and lots of reasons.

With a creative approach, and often just a piece of paper, one can take ownership of proprietary properties, real estate, goodwill, list of customers, etc. etc. and be an "overnight Entrepreneur".

Dien, your recent foray into the African (you did attack with great gusto, eh? HA!)...importing marketplace dealt with both stored value and distressed merchandise.

Sherman Hunter had a decade long partnership with Harvey Brody, as a computer guy and a hand in the publishing business...

so, when you read Hunter's stuff, you'll see a lot of Brody like lingo in there.

Taking over a distressed business is akin to finding the stored value in molds, dies, tool, and all other rusting in the corner ASSETS.

I've written about Tiny the tow truck driver who took over a business with the profits the business was already making. Today, there are many baby boomer owners, with a desire to retire, but don't want to pay the taxes an outright sale would cause...

so they are amenable to an "out of profits" buy out, often structured like a land contract deal...

Sherman Hunter hooks people up, as well as teaches some of the fundamental principles which were shared in the chain, which was Harvey working with Joe Cossman on a per diem basis and learning and growing, and Sherman working with Harvey...

I believe this Toll Position/Stored Value/Distressed Business model to be known to less than 5% of people seeking either a business or financial freedom...yet, combined, they may be some of the most

powerful

strategies for gaining an unassailable fortress of freedom.

Gordon