View Single Post
Old February 28, 2012, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Do you need to be an expert in coding to build a successful startup??

Thanks Duane

I can't create the tech I want. That makes me a non-technical founder. Over the years however, I've learnt how to talk with technical folks to get the problems solved. I can bs my way in technical talk

(I've tried learning programming on my own a couple of times before but haven't followed through. Maybe this time, it'll be different with udacity.com and codeyear.com...)

My team... we have an office. But we also have a couple of folks working remotely. (We are a team of 6 people right now.) Given a choice, I would always prefer a single office space. Keeps folks more accountable. But I go where the awesome talent is. And so, we do hire remotely too.

To keep things moving well with remote workers, you need to: have a lot better documentation. Wireframes and screen shots and explanations. With people in the office itself, napkin plans also work. Because the feedback is more constant. But remote workers need more details to avoid communication gaps.

Feedback and communication. This is what is important. I get my remote employees to talk with everyone on the team. And not just talk with me or a project manager. This makes them feel involved. Makes them learn and share with other folks. Will be planning a week long get together for the entire team too - but haven't done that yet.

1. Weekly team conferences. For people who are remote, can join in via skype.

2. Get everyone to talk with everyone. No project manager handles communication stuff.

3. Face time is pretty important. So once a year, getting everyone under one roof would help a lot.

4. Sharing of ideas and knowledge and new stuff. Having a bi-weekly employee email is awesome.

5. Accountability. 6 monthly reviews. Weekly task lists. Daily i-did-this updates.