View Single Post
Old May 30, 2013, 04:15 AM
Cornell

Default instead

Instead of the PPB (poo pickup business)

Why not train the dogs to do their job in only a certain location of the property. Affluent people love to pay for training....and personally I have never heard of anyone doing this type of specific training.

Mine was trained to go in a 6' x4' area....size constraint due to townhouse complex I lived in at the time....peeing wasn't a problem...she was allowed to go wherever.

When I moved to current location...she was lost ...she didn't know where to go. So retrained, but due to huge property I expanded her area to 40' x 30'.

Seemed like a good idea at the time....but when the winter storms blew, and the snow built up over 6 inches...it meant not only did I have to clear the bloody long driveway...but also the 40' x 30' area for her....it was well worth it though as it meant I didn't have to worry about stepping in dog doo-doo elsewhere on the property....there is nothing much worse than having to clean it out of the treads on a running shoe...correction...there is something worse...stepping in a pile of it in sock feet....and yes that has happened....in a customer's basement no less.

Another option for easy disposal is to excavate a foot of ground about 12' x12' and fill it with crushed gravel.

Train dog to only use that area for dumps.

Then simply get a hose and from a distance hose it down..water breaks up excrement and flushes it down throughh gravel to base where it is diluted and decomposes relatively quickly back into soil beneth the gravel.

There is only one drawback to this training....if you take your dog on an extended trip you may have problems getting it to go in a strange area...I learned this the hard way...took dog on a road trip (18 hours)...she had to go but wouldn't due to not having her trained area at hand....the last few hours of the trip was made with all windows full open as the gas she was passing was kind of a gagger.