Thread: Happy New Year
View Single Post
Old January 10, 2012, 10:19 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Re: Michael's Golden Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozo View Post
So many people will consult with a friend, wife, husband, co-worker, cousin, when they are a tiny bit unsure of a path. Invariably they will be shown why their plan won't work.

When you have an idea, or a plan for something new, just do it. If you ask advice / permission, you're doomed at the beginning.

I agree and disagree concurrently.

A lot of "good judgement learned from bad judgement" can be avoided by ASKing question. However, I feel they need to be the right questions to Ask and for the Right Person to be Asked.

The BFF is not the right person to ask of anything. Most relatives are also not the right people to ask. Nor other family members. Nor co-workers. They have done less research then you (usually) so it's a waste of time asking them.

The right person to ask is someone who has the experience on the topic at hand. The right question is not "can I" "Should I" or "what do you think" - although a "what do you think" question can be used on occasion.

You can ask WHAT your options are - not which option to take, but which options are available to you. You can ask How something can be done - not whether it should be done.

Michael