View Single Post
Old February 22, 2012, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Default The convenience of Jargon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post

P.S. I would say it sounds to me that Peter was using an "authority"-type of approach (in the bunch of approaches that Robert Cialdini writes about). He is the "authority," he has the experience, and he makes sure the customer knows it. As Cialdini showed, people will tend to obey an "authority" figure. Would you say that's accurate? He also "assumes the sale" too, as you pointed out...

Hi Dien,

I'm NOT a big Grinder/Bandler NLP fan, of theirs anyway, but the GREAT Milton Erikson, whom neither could hold a candle too...thanked them for telling him what he was doing...that is they gave names to his techniques.

Mirroring, Pacing, Reframing all came out of therapy and salesmanship.

Cialdini immersed himself in the cults of salesmanship, and he created "click Whirr" and the jargon of "authority".

I just wanted to make that comment...YES, Pete was an authority and presented himself, but, it is different than someone who says, "I'm going to use the authority technique."

Or any NLP authority, and many Ph.D. in psychology are low life carnival barkers in my opinion...but, anywayz...

I used to record Pete and myself, to see what we did different than what the kids were taught...I don't have the exact transcripts, but this recreation comes pretty darn close...

A guy walks to vcr's.

Pete: VCR?????

Guy. Yes, I came in for...

Pete interrupts, "You want this one." Points to vcr beneath his legs.

Guy, looking at price, "ohh, that's more than I want to spend, I came in for this one" shows Pete the ad from the Sunday paper.

Pete points down to the low end, sez, "down there, first ones, just grab it and take it to the register"

Guy, "I have some questions"

Pete interrupts and sez, "I'll get one of the junior associates to wait on you"

Guy, "What, you can't answer the questions?"

Pete. NOPE, waste of my time. I don't sell those pieces of crap"

Guy, getting irritated, "Why do have the pieces of crap in your store then?"

Pete, points to name tag, sez, "I'm Pete, the store is MACE, who used to run a great store, now his sons, Larry Curly and Moe run it...and they are the ones who order the products, and Larry curly and moe have never asked for my opinion."

Guy, "Well, that's a hell of a way to run a business"

Pete, "Yea, I know, they probably will run it into the ground" (They did, only took about 3 years from the time the sons took over until bankruptcy).

Guy, "Well, tell me about that one then"

Pete. MGA, best vcr in store, it is a great Japenese company still a little uncertain how their name, Mitsubishi is going to be taken over here, so they are dumping higher quality products, which it is...and you get their benefit of still being embarassed about being Japanese"

Guy, What about Magnovox?

Pete laughs, "almost all of these are made by ONE company, Matu****a, but they slap a different cover and box on them."

"They are OK, but, MGA is a better product, you won't be bringing it back into the store and besides, I make more money on it. "

Guy, "You're kidding me, you're getting paid more just to tell me they are better."

Pete, "No I'm getting paid more because they are charging the Stooges a lot less money than anyone else, so because the margins are larger, Larry curly and moe WANT us to sell more of these, and knowing they won't be coming back into the shop...well, they at least got that right.

And so on.

Pete closed, not because of any selling strategy, but because of ATTITUDE, you can't teach that, you can't say, Timmy, use the Authority close, cause timid Timmy isn't ever going to come off as an authority, he just doesn't have it in him...

So, Pete's AUTHORITY came based on 10 years of experience and being able to call the owners of the company STOOGES. They WERE.

Totally sank the ship in 3 years, after about 20 years of their father's continuous success. One reason, they had EGOS. Pete and I were one of a handful of people in the company that had sold this stuff...NEVER asked any of us our opinion.

they hired 20 year old kids, armed them with scripts, and canned presentations and, perhaps, that is why it only took 3 years to go bankrupt.

They overextended their credit, tried to use the OLD loss leader (bait and switch in our minds), which was industry standard...but proved fatal.

Pete and I and a few other's, didn't get with their program and as we got further into their program, it was easy to see the writing on the wall.

ALL of the top salesman were the older guys, who went off script and sold from instinct.

You can practice LINES, like in what is called Seduction or Pick Up strategies...until the cows come home and you'll still go home empty handed while guys like Halbert, just had to flash a vial of coke, and whamo mamo, another big boobed bloned in the sack...

just sayin,

it takes more than memorizing words, and scripts, you have to put some emotion into it...

And, I can see where Pete the super salesman broke many rules, but he got ONE right...

ATTENTION.

He commanded their attention with his somewhat JERKY attitude, but, once he presented the reasons WHY, it just made perfect sense...

It was all sublimanal, body language...a give a crap attitude, Pete knew he was going to sell, and he wasn't going to waste his precious time on YOU, if you had the attitude, you mr prospect, just aren't worth it...

very hard stuff to teach...

confidence plays a huge part in it.

And confidence can't be faked, but it can be borrowed.

Sure, you aren't any good at this, or that, but remember back in the 5th grade you won the spelling bee? Or anything, any success...can be called upon to carve out NEW neuronal pathways, which can be reinforced to the point of where the brain, can't tell the difference between a real event and one imagined...because of the neural firings...

As both Paul Thomas and Frank Rudolph Young wrote about...and a modern day guru, Dan Kennedy is such a believer he bought the book...Psych-Cybernetis from the Maxwell Maltz people...and brought out his own edition.

EVERYONE, even Timid Timmy, has something to call upon, they just don't know how to transfer the thought of a success, into something else.

It is NOT a skill taught anywhere along the American school track...yet the technolgy, of Cybernetics and from Maxwell Maltz and the god of cybernetics, Norbert Weiner to Paul Thomas who so elegantly wrote HOW to use it...

to modern neuro-science, and I have little respect for the so-called marketers using "ethical" persuasion, and support a particular candidate or politcal party...how is that ethical?????

But, the point...

We KNOW how to utilize the brain today...we understand more than we ever did...but, all the modern techniques and mapping of the brain have led us full circle around to say, gosh, these guys were right.

YOU can program your brain, and your mind...and your subconscious mind...and you can create NEW memory, deep and circulating memory which you can call upon at any given time you need it...

but, we don't.

Because it is like the English Literature you learned by rote in High School, you didn't have a passion for it...just for the grade you deserved. A students got A grades...that is how it worked....

But those with a passion, whom were deeply touched by Shakespeare, even the D- students, who put Shaekspeare into Circulating memory, can still call upon it as needed (although with google, we're all experts on what everyone said)...

POINT, sure salemanship can be learned, but the very best sales presentation (which matches the highest persuasion techniques)...is a resounding, reverberating, in synch and in harmony MESSAGE which resonates at the deepest level.

Gordon J

Last edited by GordonJ : February 22, 2012 at 08:17 PM.