View Single Post
Old April 22, 2012, 04:02 PM
Cornell

Default I dabbled in this market but...

A few years ago I entered this market.

I had to attend the funeral for the father of one of my daughter's friends. They handed out the traditional bookmark and a printed sheet of paper.....I wasn't overly impressed.

I spent that weekend creating some background graphics and put together a tastefully done and attractive booklet designed to replace the traditional memorial handouts. It was well accepted by the local area.

I abandoned the project after a few weeks....because of the nature of the business everything had to be done "Just-in-time" and it required personal contact with very distraught emotional people...only 1 or 2 days to gather the info from them and then get the info edited and formatted, obtain pictures and scan them, etc., and printed, and back to the funeral home in time for the viewings and funeral.

While the money involved was decent...the hectic involvement for me wasn't where I wanted to be.

Then last summer as it was apparent that my mother was starting to fail at 98 years old I put together a memorial site (including purchasing the domain) ready for when the time came...and it did in the fall...and I uploaded the site to the internet. It was very well received by family and friends and I have been toying with using the concept for a business but was struggling with an effective way to market it...now with this thread about booklets it has spawned some new ideas for marketing.....have to see where it goes.