View Single Post
Old December 20, 2007, 12:04 AM
Gregg

Default Re: should i stay or should I go

I agree that it seems like a hard business to sustain. It's basically a one-time sale. Even regular customers get their carpets done twice a year, give or take.

You could try to get hooked up with realtors or apartment complex for move-in / move-out cleans.

I thought about doing this myself as well. But opted for commercial office cleaning instead. Steady accounts provide steady revenue. You're not always searching for the next job. It requires a much less investment as well. You probably have most of the cleaning supplies you would need to start in your house. Including a vacuum.

Plenty of competition with that business also. But there are plenty of doctors, lawyers, hair salons, gas stations, deli's, insurance agents and so forth in every city too. So competition never really bothered me. (I also had a hair salon a few years back. Located on a main intersection with a salon on every corner.

One big difference is that these business's are "there" when you go out. You don't have to look to hard to find a gas station. But with cleaning and such you're probably working from home. So you have to go to the marketplace.

I started the cleaning as a side business to pay for my "habits". It's not as physical as you would think either. Plus you're usually at the business when they're closed so there's nobody around. My older son helps now too.

But I agree that "Toll Positions" are the way to go.

Hope this helps.

-Gregg