View Single Post
Old September 27, 2000, 10:46 AM
Mike Rodman

Default Giddy-up Go!!!!

Richard ~

I have seen each and every one of the points implemented over the last 13 years...

It simply amazes me what some companies and businesses will continue to do.

In 1998 I was Chairman of the Board for our Chamber of Commerce. We were instrumental in changing key Legislation affecting businesses in our State Capital of Cheyenne, Wyoming. Namely protecting the Coal Industry in the Powder River Basin area.

With all of our services and programs we were maintaining, our Chamber Exec. brought me a budget in the red to sign off on for the year.

She told me we would increase memberships thereby placing us into the black by the end of the year.

This wasn't going to work. No way in you-know-where was I placing my name on a deficit budget! So I told her to change the budget. She couldn't... Not with the current overhead we were running under.

So next Board Meeting, I get an associate to bring a Dues Increase motion to the table. (yes backroom policies are alive and well!!! ;-))

The raising of dues are argued feverently. Most against it.

So I raise the point... "We are all businessmen and as such we experience increases in our products which need to be passed onto the consumer. Why is this different???"

"You either raise your gross income... Or you lower your overhead. I don't care which. Do we cut back on programming or increase dues???"

Believe it or not... A committe was formed to "Study" the problem. After 7 months of "Study" it was determined to raise membership dues. But "How much???"

I wanted a 4% annual increase to keep up with increased costs of running and maintaining an office. Guess what???

Another "Committee" was formed to study this dilemma!

After three more months, almost the end of my term too, we finally voted...

Now get this... In the beginning I was the only one pushing for a dues increase or decrease in Programming. By the time it was studied and solutions brought forth, it was so watered down it was pitiful!

When the vote came... I voted against it!!! LOL from being the only one for it... To being the only one against it!!!

So now every year we need to spend money to "Survey" our members to see if they feel an increase is needed and how much!!! GEEZ!!!

Needless to say they were glad to get my radical, principle based butt out of there! LOL

If your not making money... Raise prices, lower your overhead, or get out.

I have examples for each of the points in your post. I'll save your post for future meetings!!! It will come in handy! I love it!!!

Success and Regards... Mike