View Single Post
Old August 23, 2000, 12:26 PM
Bob Beckman

Default Re: Why do people have a fear of success?

Jason -

In my experience genuine fear of success stems from a fear of leaving a comfort zone, whether financial, social or emotional.

When I was in the Navy, I knew individuals who refused to take advancement tests because they did not want to be promotable. They were comfortable performing at a mediocre level, and they did not want to leave their peer group. They didn't necessarily enjoy their jobs, however, but felt they "belonged" at their level.

As a business consultant, I've encountered owners who would not take the necessary steps to grow their business because they weren't comfortable with the image of being more than a sole proprietor or mom & pop operation. They wanted the increased money, but not the image.

Many people refuse to get out of emotional ruts such as abusive families, debt, etc. even when shown a clear path out, because they don't know what to do without their pathology. They're comfortable with the situation they know.

These could also be examples of fear of failure disguised, but all are certainly puzzling to me when I encounter them.

Take care, Bob