View Single Post
Old November 17, 2014, 02:04 PM
Don Alm

Default Reminds me of my "Car Wash Ad Board" program

Hey Glenn......your mention of "Car Washes" reminds me of a way I've made "muny" with Car Washes;

1) Years ago.....When lots of people were going to car washes ......people would drive up to the opening......get out of their car and WALK up to the lobby where they'd pay..... then, they'd SIT DOWN and WAIT for their car to come thru.

While sitting there waiting.....their EYES would be "looking around". As I was sitting in the lobby, I noticed fellow car wash customers "Looking Around". I then got one of my infamous "Hot Flashes".

Why not "Give Them Something To LOOK AT?" Like a Display Board with AD Cards of local biznesses. Either a Free-Standing or Wall-Mounted Board.

I went over to Wall-Mart and bought a 2ft x 3ft Poster Board. I divided the inside space into 4 Columns and 4 Rows (16 Ad Spaces) and put in some "Mock-Up" 6 x 9 Ads and a "Welcome To Jones Car Wash" at the top of the 2 inside Columns and went to the car wash owner. Showed the Board and told Him I'd like to "rent" some of his wall space for $100 a month.

I also told him that the Advertisers AND their employees would probably get their cars washed here also.

He said, "OK....I'll try it for 3 mos!"

I then had the owner hold my Sample Board on the wall while I snapped a photo. This gave Credence to my program

I then asked the owner to give me the names of his; Insurance Agent, Electrician, Plumber, HVAC, Lawn Mower, and any other service people he uses.

I then proceeded to visit local businesses to get them to Rent a Space (14 - 6" by 9" Ad Spaces) I chaged $100 Set-Up and $100 a Month.....$400 from each of the 14 Ad Spaces for a whopping $5,600 less $300 to the Car Wash and $39 for the Frame

Not sure you can get this from advertisers today BUT.....what if you only charged $50 Set Up and $150 (for 3 mos) from 14 advertisers?

That's STILL.....$200 a 14 = $2,800 for a $339 "investment". Plus.....most advertisers will renew ($150 x 14 = $2,100 every 3 mos) AND...you can get more Car Washes to participate. (AT one time I had 11 going)

So.....do some research.....find the Car Washes where patrons have to get out of their cars and go to the lobby.....make up a Dummy Board and go show some Car Wash owners.

Don Alm......long time Ad Sales Guy

PS....I usually have a picture to show but I couldn't find any so, I've included a Ad Display I used for Hotel Lobbies

Also....my best advertisers were local Restaurants. They figured, if they can spend money getting their car washed....they probably have money to "eat out"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DonAlmandLobbyBoard.JPG (12.7 KB, 31 views)