View Single Post
Old April 25, 2019, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Default Re: "Piggybacking" might be one approach...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

WOW, this is pretty exciting!

I really think how it is presented and marketed is very important... I feel it has to capture the public's imagination...

One thought is, is it possible to "piggyback" on something already successful?

I don't know enough about the game, but if it were easy to "piggyback" on an existing successful brand or business, it could be a "quick way" to success...

This approach would probably entail going into some kind of joint-venture with an existing brand name or an existing successful business... (You'd have to make sure your "toll position" is well protected, so they can't steal it.)

(A game-type of example that springs to mind is Bob Reiss and the TV Guide game... Here's an article about it, but I think Bob Reiss gives more details in his book.
https://www.alumni.hbs.edu/stories/P....aspx?num=2602
There is also a Harvard Business School case study about it, which is what I originally read... )

I'll "sit on it" and email you if I come up with any further ideas...

Best wishes,

Dien

Very good, and thanks Dien. A couple of points Bob made don't apply here.

Stevenson's definition of entrepreneurship is "the pursuit of opportunity beyond resources currently controlled."

Barry, in this case, would be more akin to Trivial Pursuit, the first to market, and dominant player. He does not lack resources.

As an aside, and as YOU well know Dien, there are lots of people in the world who do not lack resources. And five million seems like a lot to most of us, for the investors of the world, it isn't all that. Barry's five million is the "leftover" of his selling a company, and taking care of his family and needs for years to come through risk adverse investments.

The 5 million is totally in play and at risk, of course he doesn't want to lose it, or all of it, but his thinking is start fast, grow fast, go from 5 to 100 million at breakneck speed. Something like Suarez did in the late 80's early 90's where they doubled almost every year.

He is aware of all the investor opportunities out there, and he wants to invest in HIS BABY, his game. He wants a place to bring people together, and those models include Chuck E. Cheese, Busters, Lazer Tag and a new one, MONSTER MINI GOLF, where black light rules the day.

He recalls those packed bowling alleys of yesteryear, and we talked about the popularity of mini golf in the summer, here, attached to an ice cream stand.

They do go together.

Bean bag (Corn Hole) tosses, ladder games, which I think was stolen from the people throwing shoes over power lines, and add in a little skee ball action, well mix and mash, arcades still can pull people out of their houses.

If one works, then why not 200 franchises, is BARRY'S thinking. I don't know my role, if any, as of today, probably like those early days with you talking to the investor who needed your skills...so that is the process.

One of the sweet things, maybe for both of us, is NOT having to deal with bootstrappers and those who would practice the Stevensons of the world idea of limited resources.

The caution is, to prevent them from spending money, just because they have it. PLAN it out, do it small but to scale, then E X P L O D E on the scene with a readiness to GO big.

When I created my Froggin Poggin game, we tested it small, at flea markets and little school fairs, where we learned it was addictive. It could have been a contender.

Maybe BarryBall, BarryBowl, BarryBoll, BarryBag, BarryBeans, or whatever he comes up with will go all the way.

Thanks for that very good article, seems to me we've discussed Bob before haven't we?

Gordon