View Single Post
Old September 19, 2017, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Default Flying Low is the MO of most wealthy people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
Gordon:

Thanks for sharing.

For some reason, I had assumed "flying low" meant being content with picking a few nickels here and there.

But now I understand it as playing the game at an ambition level you choose but under the radar of today's craving for 15 minutes of fame.

In that sense, people like Harvey Brody can be seen as flying below the radar...and they sure aren't into nickel picking!

Thanks again.

I can't address your reason for your assumptions, but I'd bet it is true in your country too, most wealthy people DON'T want to be in the spot light.

Fame and fortune, may come together in some businesses, but most of the "fortunes" I've walked the country club fairways with, are actually pretty shy when it comes to some paparazzi sticking his camera (nose) in their business.

We are submerged in a culture of fame. And notoriety will oft serve that purpose as well.

Let me give you an example, since you mentioned Harvey Brody, a classic example of flying low, although not shy or unable to self promote, he did have his own seminars, back in the day, which a Who's Who of success attended. And one of those guys, was Gary Halbert.

One of the great self promoters of all times. Built his business on self promotion, after he had success as a marketer, his best selling product was himself.

But what of Dennis Haslinger? I would bet most people in this IM world or those learning marketing would have heard of or even studied Halbert, maybe even yourself.

But Dennis Haslinger? He and his wife became one of the largest donors to the arts and are still known for their philanthropy through their foundation. That isn't flying low, but it is controlled fame.

His compound (estate) sits above the place, the Old Green House, where Gary and Nancy lived, and where Gary wrote the now famous Nancy Letter.

Dennis was the original partner, bought Gary out, built a huge business and before his passing, could walk the streets of Akron unnoticed and unrecognized. And that is true of many wealthy folks.

On my list of Mentors, most of them have never been heard of. So, again, I don't have any idea where your assumption came from, but flying low above the fray is a tested and proven strategy many affluent people have adopted.

GordonJ

Last edited by GordonJ : September 19, 2017 at 12:48 PM.