View Single Post
Old October 11, 2019, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Default The little known secret to getting GIGS. In a gig economy, it is #1 want/need.

So, a guy called me a "know it all". Not in an offensive way, yet not all complimentary either. I was interviewing him, or so I thought, to be an instructor for my new 'BRAINERY' concept.

He informed me, he was actually interviewing me. How dare he. But he was right. In this instance, I need him more than he needs me. He is a FREELANCER, a marketing professional, although he doesn't call himself that.

He prefers consultant. OK. Whatever. We started out in more of a confrontational mode than I was expecting, because when you interview someone, you seemingly hold the power. He turned the tables.

And I was delighted he did.

See, I may not be a know it all, but I am a know a lot. Diverse, eclectic, comes from having so many jobs, or from not being able to keep the ones I did get. I may have been a lousy employee, in terms of sticking around, but I always gave at least 70% to everything. See, I know, few if any actually give 100%, I know the territory I've been around...

This consultant told me he knew what my first and number one selling course could be. What?

His answer is in my subject header. Helping people to get gigs.

There is no doubt the Freelance side of things is booming, as companies downsize they often look to outside experts, consultants and work for hire types to take the place of a workforce.

We can clearly see it here online in the form of numbers who are joining Facebook groups, prime example, COPYWRITERSS. Some Facebook groups have over 25k members.

I found over 30k copy/content writers (and many people don't know the difference) were available at all the Freelance hangouts. The competition is fierce.

Software developers, app developers, web site builders, graphic artists and photographers, assistants, WordPress experts, etc., etc. Whatever you find listed on fiverr, freelancer, upwork, or craigslist...

into the millions of people, looking for a gig. And then toss in musicians, bands, performing artists, and

TRADESMAN, who have hands on gigs too...

And a "gig" is temporary job, a one off, a one and done. A roofer works on one roof, when done, he doesn't get paid for checking it every week.

We are out of the days of hire and stay for 30 years. Those days are long gone, except in a few fields. Hard to find people working the same place after 25 years, although there are plenty around.

But for younger generations up to middle aged folk, getting a gig is what makes the difference for them.

Like friend of the forum, Millard Grubb, the magician, he would do one gig at a time.

And my new friend says he has the secret. He knows how to get gigs. How to land jobs. How to get contracts. How to get put on retainer.

And most importantly, how to teach others HOW TO GET GIGS. Higher paying gigs, longer term gigs, retainer gigs.

I am almost convinced. What do you think of this as a CLASS, or a workshop, seminar?

The truth is, that is what I'm offering to all potential instructors, a gig. And in the last month, I've uncovered, hundreds, if not thousands of people just in Northeast Ohio, who are already doing it. They are the new world gig economy types, and even those with a steady job, they do gigs for extra money, side hustles, "pin" money as mommy used to say.

What do you think?

A worthwhile workshop?

How to get gigs. We'll work on the title, copy. But the gist of it is getting hired for doing something. And there "appears" to be a secret, which my new friend alluded to, but wasn't ready to share. Although he gave me plenty of ideas.

Gordon